Saturday, April 30, 2022

The Best American Comics 2010


 
The Best American Comics 2010
edited by Neil Gaiman
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
2010
 
 
The Best American Comics 2010 is probably the last book I'll finish in April. 
 
Two things are notable by this point in the series. First, we're reaching a point where I remember noticing some of the featured comics prior to seeing them in here. This one has Asterios Polyp, Scott Pilgrim, R Crumb's Book of Genesis, and Trinity, which is about the history of the atomic bomb.
 
Second, I'm starting to recognize a few recurring artists. If I didn't already know who Chris Ware was, I would by now, since he's been in every volume. Ben Katchor is someone I can genuinely say I learned of from the BAC series though, and I like him enough to try finding one of his collections sometime.
 
As the editor, Neil Gaiman seems to have picked slightly fewer comics and included longer excerpts. In previous editions, an excerpt would usually only last for a single plot point or so - here they're roughly twice as long. The one exception is the bit of Scott Pilgrim that Gaiman chose, poorly IMO, which is short, makes very little sense without more context, and doesn't seem particularly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment