Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Terrarium Craft


 
Terrarium Craft
Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds
by Amy Bryan Aiello and Kate Bryant
photographs by Kate Baldwin
 
 
Terrarium Craft is a craft book that explains how to assemble terrariums, and provides inspirational images to help beginners get started.
 
Before reading, I hadn't realized that only the most humidity-loving tropical plants can really tolerate bring in closed terrariums. Most want more air circulation. I also hadn't thought about it, but you need to water the plants regularly, and because there's so little soil, feed them fertilizer. I'm beginning to understand why my past terrariums died!
 
Of the 50 inspirational models, about 10 are 'forest terrariums' that mostly feature carnivorous plants, about 10 'beach terrariums' and 20 'desert terrariums' that mostly feature succulents, and about 10 'fantasy terrariums' that mostly use moss and lichens and occupy several jars. (The cover image is a fantasy terrarium.)
 
I don't know why deserts got so much more attention than the others, but the authors use a good variety of plants, so you can learn about the care of each. They also show off a variety of jar shapes, and suggest a number of decorative additions.
 
I think some of my favorites use miniatures, rather than just crystals and shells. Tiny houses, statuettes of animals, I love the contrast between them and the plants. Given my previous failures, if I try again, it'll be with a very open moss terrarium, since those need the least care, as long as they get enough fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment